Saturday 5 November 2011

How much creativity can one blonde head hold

My sister says I have too much time on my hands, I'm on Facebook too much. She is probably right. One thing I DO know, I have far too much creativity and useless information going on in this blonde head of mine. Okay, so it's a little grey but there is too much in there none the less. Time to start blogging, I am thinking. Let's get some creative ideas out there. These are not all my ideas but things that I have picked up along the way. Some things I have, let's say, enhanced a little just because I like to see how far I can take things.
Because Christmas is just around the corner and it is my favorite time of year I am going to start with some Christmas projects. My first project is dedicated to my friend Edith in the Netherlands. I hope you have as much fun making these 'snowball candles' as I did. (Veel geluk ermee. Als je het niet snapt laat me maar weten. )
Snowball Candles:
What you will need            

Cheap round candles. Colored ones are fine but you will find that you need to cover with more wax to disguise color. Also keep in mind that once you start burning your candle the color underneath will become visible. If you can't find any round candles you can use normal ones but will have to put more whipped wax around the middle until you get the desired shape.
Standard white or household paraffin wax candles. As an indication, I used 16 candles to make 2 small snowballs and 3 large ones.
Wick
Tray covered with baking paper
Fork, scissors and an old pan




 

 1. Remove wicks from round candles. These will need to be replaced with new longer wicks due to the fact that when you add another layer of wax over your ball candle, the original ones will be too short. You may need to make the holes in the candle slightly larger with a skewer, or such, before you thread your new wick, which you have knotted on one end, through.



2. Break long candles in half and place in a pan to gently melt on the stove. You can remove the pieces of wick as the candles begin to melt. Once melted remove pan from stove and allow wax to cool.




 3. Once the wax starts to turn a little white again you can start whipping it with a fork. Scrap the sides of the pan down as you go. When the wax looks somewhat like scrambled eggs you can start putting little amounts on your round candle.
HANDY HINT. If the wax is still oozing through your fork it is still too hot. Just keep whipping until it gets a skittle cooler. Also start putting your wax on ( wax off :-D that's a smiley face for everyone who said that) from the base of your candle. Work your way up to the wick.




4. Once a ball is complete allow it to set and then trim the wick. You can add another layer of wax if you want larger snowballs. Trim your wicks after this stage then. You can make your snowballs totally round by allowing them to dry and then turning them over and by adding some wax to the base.  I like to keep mine flat because they are more stable.  Round ones would be good if you were placing them into beads or such.

HINT if you are a little on the slow side just reheat your wax a little and start whipping it again.

HINT. IF YOU KEEP ANY OF YOUR CANDLES IN THE FREEZER THEY TEND TO BURN LONGER. DON'T ASK ME WHY. I'M NOT A SCIENTIST. I JUST REMEMBER SOMEONE TELLING ME SO. AAAAAAAHHHHHH ONE USELESS BIT OF INFO OUT OF MY HEAD,

3 comments:

  1. This is good Leonie. Just a question, when you say "Round ones would be good if you were placing them into beads or such."...and forgive me if this is a very silly question, but why would one put a candle in a bead? Caz

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant by that Carolyn was that you might like to nestle your candles in a bed of beads or maybe in a layer of fake snow or glitter. If that was the case it wouldn't matter if your candle was frosted all the way around because by pushing it into a bed of beads or such it would still be stable. Great question byt the way. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the penny drops! Thanks for the clarification. =)

    ReplyDelete